Skip to main content

Post Secondary Transition Resources

Vocational Rehabilitation Referral Forms
                Dodge City, Garden City, Liberal



Formerly Kansas Advocacy & Protective Services (KAPS)

Topeka   785-273-9661

The Disability Rights Center of Kansas (DRC), Formerly Kansas Advocacy & Protective Services (KAPS), is a public interest legal advocacy agency empowered by federal law to advocate for the civil and legal rights of Kansans with disabilities. DRC is the Official  Protection and Advocacy System for Kansas and is a part of the national network of federally mandated and funded protection and advocacy systems.


Kansas Guardianship Program

Manhattan 785-587-8555

Any person reaching age 18 is presumed by the State to be a competent adult and no other person, including the individual’s parents, may legally make decisions on his or her behalf.  An adult individual is considered competent unless a court formally determines a person is incompetent to handle their own affairs and appoints a guardian to act on his or her behalf.  For more information on the steps needed to obtain guardianship contact the above noted services.



Kansas Legal Services, a statewide non-profit organization, is dedicated to helping low income Kansan meet their basic needs through the provision of essential legal, mediation, and employment training services.   KLS strives to eliminate the causes of poverty and mitigate its effects by helping individuals achieve and maintain self-sufficiency and family supporting employment.                    


Addresses legal issues concerning special education and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act.





Social Security:  There may be benefits available for disabled adults who qualify under their retired parents’ work record.

Supplemental Security Income:  SSI is a federal program that provides monthly payments to people who are blind or have a disability and who have little or no resources and income.  (It can also benefit qualified people who are 65 or older.)

Medicaid: Medicaid is a health care program for people with low incomes and limited assets.  Medicaid is available if a person qualifies for SSI.  For Medicaid you must apply at your local Social and Rehabilitation Services office.

Medicare:  A person receiving Social Security  benefits may qualify for Medicare.

Check with the local Social Security Office about these programs.
200 Fourth Circle, Dodge City, KS 67801   620-227-8591




Through this program, Rehabilitation Services helps people with disabilities prepare for and achieve employment.  Services, which are individualized according to each person’s needs, include:   Assessments, Counseling and Guidance, Training, Physical or Mental Restoration Services, Work-Related Placement Services, and Transition Services.

Dodge City  620-227-8508
Garden City  620-272-5920

Liberal  620-626-3700



SRS – Home & Community Based Services (HCBS)

Home care services for people with more severe disabilities.




Promotes the functional skills of young people in Kansas
who have a handicap, disability,
or chronic disease by providing
or supporting needed specialty
health care.



     The State Children’s Health Insurance Program known as              HealthWave   was developed to provide low cost or free health insurance to children of qualifying families.  The program is for children, birth to age 19, who are not eligible for Medicaid.  


Workforce Centers of Kansas

In Western Kansas: Dodge City, Garden City, and Liberal;
Programs offered include:  Job Referrals, Automated Labor Exchange (ALEX), Resume Preparation, Job Search Workshops, Assessment Services, and Proficiency Tests



Training opportunities are available for young adults ages 16 through 24.  Tuition-free education and vocational training are provided to those who qualify.

1-800-733-JOBS   or   1-800-503-0903


Youth Vision is a federally funded program (Workforce Investment Act WIA) established to help at-risk youth in our community.  We complete a grant annually to subsidize this program.
This program allows youth additional means to help further their education as well as obtain valuable work experience.
The Youth Vision Program based in Dodge City serves youth who live in  Ford, Clark, and Meade counties.   620-561-1508  
The Garden City office serves Greeley, Wichita, Scott, Lane, Ness, Hamilton, Kearney, Finney, Hodgeman, Stanton, Grant, Haskell, Morton, Stevens, and Seward County.  620-271-6200


SER Corporation
SER Corporation has been offering services in Kansas to migrant and seasonal farm workers for over two decades.  Our goal is to help these workers find permanent year round employment.  We provide support in the areas of occupational and basic skills training.  SER offers a variety of programs to fit the needs of its clients.  Some of these include classroom training, on -the -job training, assisting with some of the necessary expenses, job market education, as well as assistance in the job search.


Toll Free:  877 275-2181



The organizations listed below are the community developmental disability organizations (CDDO) that serve the counties in SKACD.  A CDDO is an organization with responsibility for making sure that eligible people with developmental disabilities who live in the CDDO area receive the supports needed.  The CDDO may provide some of the services or they may be provided by other agencies.  But you have to start with the CDDO.


ARROWHEAD WEST, INC                                 

Dodge City 620-227-8803
Residents of: Clark, Comanche, Ford, Edwards, Gray, Hodgeman, Kiowa, Meade, Ness and Clark Counties


Garden City 620-275-7521

Residents of: Finney, Haskell, Lane, Scott, and Seward Counties


Hays  785-625-5678

Residents of: Ellis, Gove, Logan, and Trego Counties

Great Bend  620-792-1321
Residents o
f:  Rush and Pawnee Counties




Dual Diagnosis Treatment & Training Services

@ Parsons State Hospital & Training Center

DDT & TS is a service of Parsons State Hospital Training Center.  It is a statewide resource for persons with a dual diagnosis of developmental disability and a mental health disorder.   To make a referral, contact your
local Community Developmental Disabilities Organization.  (CDDO)

Phone  (620) 421-6550, ext. 1609






Mental Health Centers: Private non-profit organizations committed to providing a full continuum of mental health care for residents in the counties they serve.  Fee reduction may be available based on a sliding scale.

Area Mental Health Centers
Dodge City 620-227-8566

Garden City 620-276-7689
Scott City

Iroquois Center for Human Development
Kinsley 888-877-0376

High Plains Mental Health Center

Hays, KS  800-432-0333 or 785-628-2871

Southwest Guidance Service

Liberal  620-624-8171

Mexican American Ministries

Dodge City  620-225-0625


(formerly The Association for Retarded Citizens)

To promote the general welfare of people with mental disabilities in their communities.





INDEPENDENT LIVING   for an individual with a disability means having
control overacceptable options for living in the community of your
choice, living alone or with people you choose, and having the resources you need to control both the daily and long-term quality you desire out of life.  Key components of independent living include:  Legal Protection from discrimination on the basis of disability;  belief in Consumer Control and the right to fail; Equal Access to all that society has to offer in education, employment, health services, housing, and public accommodations; and support
services which are self-directed.

Statewide Independent Living Council

of Kansas (SILCK)

Topeka       1-785-234-6990

Center for Independent Living for Southwest Kansas

 Dodge City     1-620-227-6660

 Liberal        1-620-624-5500

 Garden City    1-620-276-1900




Crisis Center of Dodge City: 
Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Intervention Services. 
Services offered include:   Crisis intervention and counseling, Emergency shelter for battered women and their children, Referral services, and Support groups.  No charge for services.
24 Hour Hot Line  (620) 225-6510      
Office (620) 225-6987

Kansas Crisis Hot Line 1-888-END-ABUSE   or   1-888-363-2287



     1-800-332-6262   (TDD/TTY)

    This is an in-state toll-free number
    (Kansas and KC Metro area only).

    'Serving Kansans with
    Disabilities in One Phone Call'


The Make A Difference Information Network for Children and Adults With Disabilities is for anyone seeking information about the services and resources that are available in Kansas.  It is a network of many cooperating programs.  One phone call will reach all of these programs.




Kansas Youth Leadership Forum:  

 The Kansas Youth Leadership Forum website was designed as a means of communication for all involved in the KS YLF.  Whether you are former delegate, volunteer or a future delegate, volunteer, this is the place for you.  Maybe you are new to the KS YLF – you have a child with a disability or you are the disabled teen.  We encourage you to have a look around and don’t forget to leave your comments and ideas in the guestbook before you leave.





Provides year-round sports training and athletic competition
for children and adults with mental disabilities.




Disability Info. gov:    is the federal government’s one-stop Web site for information of interest to people with disabilities, their families, employers, service providers and many others.   The New Freedom Initiative’s Online Resource for Americans with Disabilities.


Kansas Commission on Disability Concerns (KCDC):   is to promote a higher quality of life for people with disabilities. To do this we recommend policy changes to state laws and programs; provide technical assistance services, referral to appropriate entities; and conduct training about legislative advocacy, disability awareness, civil rights laws and accessibility.

KCDC’s purpose is to involve all segments of the Kansas community through legislative advocacy, education and resource networking to ensure full and equal citizenship for all Kansans with disabilities.


The Disability Resources Monthly Guide to Disabilities of the Internet:   is a nonprofit 501 (c) (3) organization established to promote and improve awareness, availability and accessibility of information that can help people with disabilities live, learn, love, work and play independently. We disseminate information about books, pamphlets, magazines, newsletters, videos, databases, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, telephone hotlines and on-line services that provide free, inexpensive or hard-to-find information to help people with disabilities live independently.


National Center on Secondary Education and Transition:    The national Center on Secondary and Transition (NCSET) coordinates national resources, offers technical assistance, and disseminates information related to secondary education and transition for youth with disabilities in order to create opportunities for youth to achieve successful futures.


Occupational Outlook Handbook:   For hundreds of different types of jobs – such as teacher, lawyer, and nurse - the Occupational Outlook Handbook tells you:

·        the training and education needed

·        earnings

·        expected job prospects

·        what workers do on the job

·        working conditions

 In addition, the Handbook gives you job search tips, links to information about the job market in each State, and more.


Kansas Board of Regents Institutions:   The Kansas Board of Regents governs six state universities, and supervises and coordinates 19 community colleges, five technical colleges, six technical schools and a municipal university.





Are people using a language that is nearly impossible to understand? You’re in the acronym maze.  It’s full of letters that stand for other letters, just like a secret code.  Ask them to speak your language.   Here are some clues:

    ADA – Americans with Disabilities Act

    ADD – Attention Deficit Disorder

  ADHD – Attention Deficit with Hyperactivity Disorder

       ED -  Emotionally Disturbed

  CDDO – Community Developmental Disability Organization

CSHCN – Children with Special Health Care Needs

        DD – Developmental Disability

      HHS – Federal Department of Health and Human Resources

     IDEA – Individuals with Disabilities Education Act

        IEP – Individual Education Plan

        ILC – Independent Living Center

        IPP – Individual Program Plan

   KCDDS – Kansas Council on Developmental Disability Services

         LD – Learning Disability

       LEA – Local Education Agency

         MR – Mental Retardation

    SILCK – Statewide Independent Living Council of Kansas

       SRS – Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services:

      SSDI – Social Security Disability Insurance

        SSI – Supplemental Security Income

        TPI – Transition Planning Inventory

         VR – Vocational Rehabilitation


(Some of the above are taken from Choices Facing Kansas with Developmental Disabilities)



(620) 865-2054


Dodge City Contacts:

Jill Ewy @




District Calendar

This Week's Events

Current Weather


Temperature: 22˚F

Current Condition: Clear

Wind Speeds: 6.02mph

Chance of Precipitation: 0%

5-day Outlook

Temperature: 54/30
Clear throughout the day.
Temperature: 52/34
Mostly cloudy throughout the day.
Temperature: 53/33
Mostly cloudy throughout the day.
Temperature: 60/41
Partly cloudy starting in the evening and windy overnight.
Temperature: 53/32
Windy in the morning.

Contact Information

Southwest Kansas Area Cooperative District (SKACD)
001 Ford Street
Ensign, Kansas 67841

8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

Business Office Personnel:

Leesa Sneath – Human Resource

Terie Julian – Financial

Jessie Stapleton – Para Facilitator

Esther Friesen – Medicaid & Receptionist

Tonya Maier – Payroll

Jennifer Rucker – Payroll Assistant

Joni Gleason – MIS Clerk

Phone: 620-865-2054
Fax: 620-865-2055